-->

Saturday, June 1, 2013

S-ART-urday (Jasper Johns)

I have really been drawn to this Jasper Johns piece recently.
Map, 1961 via
I love this piece because you can obviously tell what it is, but there is still a sense of flexibility and chaos in the borders, really melting the states together in a way. It's very fitting for my life right now because I am about to start working for Pi Beta Phi as a traveling Leadership Development Consultant. I will be traveling the country visiting college campuses to support Pi Phi's collegiate chapters with recruitment, leadership development, chapter organization, or officer education. I am more than excited to start this journey with the nine other women selected as LDCs! I think the key to enjoying this year will really be to relish flexibility and understand that things aren't always going to happen the way you planned them. This is something I have really been trying to work on with my type A personality, so I am excited for what this year will bring!

Just to get an idea of the size of the work via
Jasper Johns was born on May 15, 1930 in Augusta, Georgia. He was raised in South Carolina and moved to New York City at the age of 18. Johns often paints simple everyday objects and has been known to blur the lines separating art and reality.

Flag, 1954

Target with Four Faces, 1955 

Three Flags, 1958

Souvenir, 1970

Scent, 1975-76

Land's End, 1978

Voice 2, 1982

Summer, 1985 



No comments:

Post a Comment