-->

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What I'm Reading

Since moving to Nashville, I have learned more about WSM and the Grand Ole Opry, and I was interested in learning more about how it all got started. In doing research for my job, Air Castle of the South: WSM and the Making of Music City kept frequently coming up as a resource, so I decided to check it out from my local public library. I got to visit the Opry in June with my dad and sister, Kristen. It was a great show and there was a ton going on before and after the show because of CMA Fest.
At the Opry in June

Growing up in Shreveport, Louisiana, I heard about the Louisiana Hayride often, as it was a similar program and format. However, the Hayride supported artists just starting their careers while the Opry allowed traditional, established artists to perform. In this traditionalist regard, the Opry steered clear of the electric guitar, while the Hayride embraced it. The world was even introduced to Elvis on the Hayride!
via
I'm only about fifty pages in, but I'm looking forward to delving in to country music history through this book! 

Other things I'm reading today: 
The making a Blake Sims: a selfless leader who was sent to Alabama a boy and came back a man

No comments:

Post a Comment